Sunday, April 16, 2006

3G mobile phone death!

My six month old Nokia 6021 3G phone suddenly decided to die on me last week.  There were no symptoms of the impending death.  I just discovered one morning that it had no power and it was not possible to turn it on regardless of whether it was attached to the charger or not.  Even the startup screen wouldn’t come up.  The only thing that seemed to work intermittently was the backlights on the screen – it would light up for a while then nothing.

As there was a two year warranty on the phone, I brought it to the service center.  I had it back in a day after they reloaded the software (or firmware) for the phone.

I’m now wondering whether there was a software bug in the original operating system of the phone or whether I got a phone virus from somewhere.

These new phones are getting to be more and more like computers.  There are more functions and the software gets more complicated.  Consequently, crashes should become more common.

Despite the sudden death of the phone, I’m really happy with this Nokia phone.  It has bluetooth, an infrared connection, and a nice color screen for viewing photos.  The Bluetooth connection allows me to use the Bluetooth handsfree system on my car and the IR connection allows me to connect the phone to my laptop.  I could also use the phone as a modem to connect my laptop to the internet – this comes in handy when I don’t have a ready internet connection and would need to send out an email quickly.

No comments: